Monday, October 26, 2009

So simple, it's almost stupid.

So many times I've gone to church and the topic has been about being "Mary" and not "Martha"; About being the one chillin' with Jesus, and not the one working to prove herself to Jesus. The message seems way overdone.

"...She had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me." Jesus answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. One thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." (KJV- My emphasis and paraphrase) Luke 10: 38-42

Woah! This is amazing! This passage clearly explains what I had felt when I first arrived at YWAM (or at least for the first two months). "God! I'm sending out all these emails, and working so hard here at YWAM, and I'm still not getting the support I need, and I'm having a hard time feeling your presence! What's going wrong, God?" I had heard the story before, but did I really get it? I thought, "Yeah, I know, put God first, my ministry second. I've heard it all before, and I'm trying my hardest."

That's the problem though - We're trying too hard. Now, don't get me wrong, I can't stand it when I meet a fellow brother or sister in Christ and they tell me, "I'm waiting for God to tell me where to go next" when they've been stuck in the same rut for years. God's probably given them many chances to move, or suggestions to act, but they would rather God plop opportunity in their lap. There's a difference between obedience and religious obligation. Obedience is what needs to be done, and religious obligations are extra.

The Shack gives a good illustration. There is a point in the book where the main character, Mac, has to rescue his children from drowning after their boat got capsized. Mac explains that it is much easier for a lifeguard to save someone's life if they aren't struggling. Once we let God do the work, and stop struggling, stop burning the candle at both ends, stop working overtime, He can save us!

It's simple - God first, everything else second. I have no idea how many times I've learned this lesson. I've forgotten time and time again, and God has had to come and re-teach this elementary, yet foundational lesson.

YWAM Promo - Joe Mills from Joe Mills on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe, This was a great message for me. I'm the primary care giver for my Mom, early Alzheimers, and I have 5 sisters. Two are very supportive emotionally (they cannot help physically), one has "given up" on helping Mom or me, and two are close enough to help more, (one comes for supper on Tuesday, one comes for supper on Thursday - and helps with paying Mom's bills) and those two have been "not so nice" emotionally. So . . . I've felt like Martha. "Why doesn't any body help me?"

    It's been quite an enlightening and spiritual voyage for me. I now have outside caregivers helping Mom and that's taken a big load off of me. Thank God, my Mom was very frugal with her money and has plenty to pay for the help. I've come to accept that I cannot change my sisters; they will have to answer to God for their actions. I'm at peace with how I am providing care to my Mom. She loves Life Group on Wednesdays at our home, she is still living in her own home with her 2 kitties, my help, Visiting Angels (the paid caregivers), God's help, and sister help.

    The biggest change I had to make was letting God be in control. He knows my heart.

    You are on my prayer list. Keep up your persistence and trust in God. Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete